Saturday, April 14, 2012

Week 31: An Unexpected Turn of Events

And when I say an unexpected turn of events, what I really mean is an unexpected turn of the child inside my belly.

I went to an appointment with my OB on Friday, at which point I was 31 weeks pregnant, and he informed me that the baby was head up, bum down. What a funny feeling! Both the Pious One and Braveheart were firmly head down, as far as I knew, the entire time I was pregnant. I did pelvic tilts just in case, but it never seemed to matter much. The Statesman, however, apparently decided to try it out.

I confessed to my OB that his movements had felt different for at least a few days, possibly up to a week, and I wondered whether he might have turned. When I told my doctor this, he said, in his charming French-speaking African way, "Ah, mama know best. That's where we go wrong, if we fail to listen to mama." Is it surprising that I enjoy this man more and more every time I go to see him?

Today, while I was sitting very still during a lecture on the immaterial aspects of thought that was becoming increasingly difficult to understand, my attention turned to the Statesman. I attempted some palpation and found that, with a few pokes and squeezes, I was able to determine the contours of his head, his upper back, and his arm. Oh, my - it was unbelievable to be able to visualize such a tiny baby inside my belly. And he really is still pretty tiny! Based on a rough estimate from a non-skilled non-professional, I would say his head is probably only the size of a large-ish tomato.

So it's pelvic tilts for me. No one is really worried about the breech positioning right now, and I don't think anyone will worry about it until 36 or 37 weeks. In the meantime, though, I'd like the Statesman to be used to and comfortable with the standard head-down positioning so he doesn't decide, when it's too late, that he'd like to try out something new!

My blood sugars are still good and stable. A few lows, not so many highs, and I really can't go more than 3 hours with a little something, but it's been this way for weeks and it feels pretty good to be in a stable pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment