Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Second of My Irritations These Days

In the last chapter of the saga with my endocrinologist, I was left with a very bitter taste in my mouth. My A1C was good anyway, and since he hadn't been helping me to get it there, I left the office feeling like he was probably not going to be the best person to help me get some stability back into my the swings of my blood sugar life. I've done it before by myself, after all. Beyond that, because his office doesn't accept Medicaid, I will pay out of pocket for it every time I go see him. Pay $200 to be told that things look fine but that I probably shouldn't have any more children anyway? Yeah, that didn't sound like a good time to me, either.

Well, all of these things combined led me to believe that I really didn't need to see him again a short one month later in February, despite my scheduled appointment. I cancelled that appointment, and was told by the receptionist that it was weird he had wanted to see me again in just one month, since normally pregnant women are seen every two. Excellent.

And since things were going pretty well with my blood sugars in March and an A1C at my OB's office confirmed the fact, I felt the same way two months out. Besides, during my first pregnancy, I only saw the endocrinologist every 3 months, and I didn't have any help from anyone adjusting my insulin rates. That pregnancy was perfectly healthy, and I don't have any regrets.

Well, we're coming up on three months, and I have a decision to make. Do I go, or do I stay?

I've been sending my blood sugars to him two times per week, despite the fact that I feel pretty comfortable making changes on my own, when I need to. From my perspective, I do it mostly to prove to him that things are going fine. My OB can check my A1C, so I don't need to see him for that reason. Since my student-husband was recently informed that he will not have a teaching position at the university next year, owing to budget cuts and re-organization, I am inclined to save the money that we have, which, come May, will only be bleeding from our savings account until at least September 2013.

I decided to cancel my appointment. Perhaps he'll offer to see me for free, if my health is really that important to him and he really thinks it's in danger, but I doubt it. I certainly don't think there's any danger to my health, and if he decides it's not worth his time to look at my blood sugars, since I'm not paying for office visits, I will not lose any sleep over it. I have visited an endocrinologist every three months for my entire life and never been told anything (except an A1C) in any one visit that I felt could not have waited for another three. I feel very confident that an adverse effect to my health is extremely unlikely as a result of one more missed office visit, and as a bonus, I won't have to hear him gripe to me about how I shouldn't be pregnant anyway.

Hey, that feels a lot better...

No comments:

Post a Comment