Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 29: Hello, Third Trimester! Goodbye, Earthly Comfort!

I have entered the third trimester. It seems like it took forever to get here, probably because of how medical imaging technology and the uncertainty issuing from it ruined my second trimester.

I find the third trimester to be a much greater pain in my rear than any other. The first trimester nausea is a pain, but for me tends to go quickly. But I know there are women who are sick for their entire pregnancies, and I don't think my discomfort even holds a candle to theirs. In fact, my sister, who is also pregnant, told me just the other day that she was feeling sooooo much better. The kicker was her reason: she hadn't thrown up in 2 or 3 days. Oh, my!

But as I was saying, for me, the third trimester is the worst. In fact, actually delivering the baby is just a dramatic way to begin a new stage of discomfort in the childbearing continuum that continues from conception through...well, I guess it goes on for a long time.

In fact, when people joke that I should "get my sleep now, since you won't after the baby comes!", I feel like inviting them to get up for me in the middle of the night to roll over, re-arrange my pillows, check my blood sugar, get a drink of water or juice, use the toilet, let my unborn child use the inside of their stomach as a springboard, and worry about the future for me. At least after the baby is born my husband can occasionally take on a middle-of-the-night diaper change!

So, in one sense for me, the real difficulty of childbearing for me has just begun, which I can expect because of the special curse granted to it since the days of our first earthly mother. But just as Christ gave up his life for ours, ushering in a new era of heavenly comfort, so, too, do I offer mine up for the life of this little one.

I'll try not to gripe too much about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment