Wednesday, March 21, 2012

One Good Reason for the 20-Week Ultrasound

I have mentioned a couple times that I'm not sure if I want to do the 20 week ultrasound next time I'm pregnant. Unfortunately for this lovely family, I've found at least one reason this ultrasound might be a good idea after all.

As far as I can tell, the mother of this family was having what most would have considered a low-risk pregnancy. However, at her 20-week ultrasound, her unborn daughter was diagnosed with spina bifida. Then, within a matter of weeks, the mother underwent surgery so that her unborn daughter could also undergo surgery to close the opening in her back. At 24ish weeks gestation! Apparently the long-term prognosis for children with spina bifida who receive the in utero surgery is much better. The monumental task before them now is to keep the mother from delivering her daughter prematurely.

Say a few prayers for this growing family!

No comments:

Post a Comment