Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How Pregnancy Might Actually Be Good For You

When I found out I was pregnant the first time, I had been on a Minimed pump for about a year. I'm not sure how, but somehow my A1C was still 8.0. It was so long ago that I just don't remember what I was doing (or not doing) that kept my blood sugars higher than they have been ever since...

And that's part of the point that I want to make in this post. Maybe, just maybe, perhaps in some women, even though it comes with some extra lows, the motivation that a pregnant, Type I diabetic woman has to regulate her blood sugars is so strong that it will stand her in good stead for the rest of her diabetic life? I mentioned that I can't remember why my A1C was high when I found out I was pregnant for the first time, and that's because it hasn't been that high in 3 1/2 years. In fact, I can't remember the last A1C I had that was higher than 6.5. I definitely haven't had one higher than 7.0 since that fateful day. Pregnancy teaches self-discipline (upon pain of hurting your unborn child) that might be hard to come by any other way.

I heard four birth stories from another Type I diabetic with four children who told me that her doctor used to joke that she should keep having babies because it was so good for her blood sugar!

Don't rule it out. There are other hidden advantages to the life of a diabetic (even pregnant!) mother. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment