Friday, December 9, 2011

The Week After That: Breaking the News

This week we broke the news to our families. I didn't want to do it while we were at the wedding in Florida, since I didn't want to distract from the bride's big event or from my sister-in-law's baby news. My husband wanted to wait until his conference was finished, to avoid casting a pall over his work, in case anyone responded badly to the news that I am pregnant for the third time in three years. Fortunately, our families are pretty great, and I think we've spent a lot of time grooming them for babies in rapid succession.

Saturday, October 22:
The morning starts out horribly when my birthday boy (second son, one year old) pulls out my insulin pump's catheter. Post-breakfast reading is 313. Ugh. After a correction bolus and 2 hours, my blood sugar is 419! I FREAKED out. My new site was kinked, too! This has happened at least 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks since I found out I'm pregnant, and I now think that belly sites are definitely not working. Maybe the skin and scar tissue are stretching, or the muscles are too loose, or something is making them kink up. I'll stick to the backside for now.

In the meantime, I decide that if my blood sugar is going to be excessively high, I might as well go for a run without any danger of dipping too low while I'm out. After a very sluggish run, in which I spend the entire time praying for protection for our child from the harm these high blood sugars may be causing to him (or her), I finally eat lunch at 2pm.

In other news, this is the day my cousin got married! I don't often hear people talk about the bearing and raising of children at secular weddings, but this one did. I was very pleased to hear the justice of the peace include remarks about the couple's preparation for children.

Sunday, October 23: At a brunch held in honor of the newlyweds, my 94-year-old grandmother tells me that I have too many children. My cousin thinks that may be because she can't tell which of the four toddlers at the party are mine. I'm not sure what to think, because my grandmother had four biological children and seven total after a second marriage! In any case, it was a little hurtful, but I think she means well. She had three children very close together, and her husband was often absent both emotionally and physically. She remembers it being very stressful.

Monday, October 24: Before we pack our things into the car to drive back to the airport, I am chatting with my grandmother. We will miss her dearly, and despite her general confusion, we and she know that we may not see her again before her soul departs her body for its eternal life. Once again, she confuses me with my sister-in-law, who is also newly pregnant. Since my husband and I are still trying to keep our news under wraps, this confusion has been unnerving.

"And you're having another."
(Silent gasp, and a moment's pause to figure out how I can avoid lying to someone who is already confused about how many great grandchildren she has.)
"Do you mean Hillary? Because she's pregnant now."
"Oh, is she?"
"Yes, she's due in May."
"Well, what about you?"
(Another silent gasp. But seriously, I'm not even sure why I need to bother hiding it from her. She won't remember in a few minutes.)
"Well...um...we are hoping to have more, but it probably won't be in May."

The travel day is uneventful, except for some pregnancy-related nausea and fatigue. The boys hold up like troopers. We all get to see daddy before the boys collapse into bed.

Tuesday, October 25: Wave after wave of pregnancy nausea and fatigue hit today. I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to keep this a secret, particularly from my parents. So we decide to let the cat out of the bag and we tell my dad. We also call my husband's mom, and she is so excited. She is convinced it will be a girl, and unbeknownst to us, she's been stocking up on little girl clothes.

I also had a doctor's appointment this morning. I was disappointed for a few reasons, not the least of which is that when you go in before 8 weeks, they don't actually do anything. Not even a Doppler to hear the baby's heartbeat. They bill your insurance and tell you to come back when you're 8-10 weeks. For real, people, I could have saved my babysitting credits! Also, I think I will probably return to the doctor who delivered my second son. I know he'll want to induce me at 38 weeks, but he also knows I won't want it. If I'm going to have to put my foot down either way, it might as well be with someone I know.

Wednesday, October 26: So this (nausea and fatigue) is apparently just how it's going to be for a while longer. I remember this happened before...but not very well...and eventually it was over...but man, it sure saps the life out of you. I'm not sure what's going on metabolically, but I can't seem to keep my blood sugars up and there's a definite correlation between sickness and low blood sugar.

We call my sisters and brother today. They are all excited. My mom comes home and we break the news to her, too. Her lack of enthusiasm is conspicuous, and I can't tell if she is worried about me, worried about my kids, worried that life in her house will become even more unpleasant than it already is, or all three. I think it's safe to say she thinks it's unwise. She subtly implies that I have slyly timed the birth of our next child so that I can feed off the federal government (Medicaid) for assistance with my diabetes expenses while my insurance won't cover it. Ouch. (Mt 5:11-12).

Thursday, October 27: Seriously, forget everything I said about what I was going to do differently next time. There is no way I can avoid juice and dairy (no juice and no milk for low blood sugars? Impossible). Also, I'm not even sure I can avoid sweets like cookies, cake, candy, and so forth altogether. Because I can only drink so much milk and juice in a day before I vomit it back up. I need some low blood sugar alternatives, and a soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie works really, really well.

Friday, October 28: The Cardinals win the World Series in Game 7, baby! For those of you who don't know, Jenn and I met in St. Louis. Our husbands were in school together there for 3 years. Good times, and good memories of our time in a great baseball town.

1 comment:

  1. Something I've learned in my short 15 weeks of being pregnant is that we are in control of very little of what's going on inside of us. God has told me over and over that He is in control. Also, it's all about the average and not one stubborn high (even though I agree it's scary).

    And I think it's impossible to avoid juice, especially in the first trimester. I also had way too many carbs in the first trimester, but that's the only thing that seemed to help my morning sickness. I'm having a lot less now that I'm in the 2nd tri. I think sticking to strictly juice for lows has helped me not put on too much weight so far.

    Good luck Beth! I look forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete