Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Week 9: Food Cravings

When I was pregnant with my first son, I spent a lot of time being sick during week 9. I think it was the worst of all my sick weeks with him, so I am bracing for the worst this week and hoping we can manage somehow. My schedule has almost entirely cleared, since I haven't felt energetic enough to plan much of anything over the last few weeks.

Saturday, I forced myself to get out of the house with the boys so that my husband could work. Every time I've done that, I've kept myself from vomiting. Unfortunately, I still felt terrible when I got home. Fortunately, we went to a friend's house for dinner and she served a.maz.ing. enchiladas. This got me out of dinner prep AND into some delicious food. I stopped myself, but definitely could have eaten three.

On Sunday, I made white chicken chili and I've had the strangest recurring memory about a single bite of the chili with monterey jack cheese. On the one hand, I can't wait to put it in my mouth, and on the other hand, I have this very strong sensation that I will vomit it right back up again. Really, I've been re-living this experience all week. So weird.

Tuesday was a busy morning. I muscled my way through it, but it was not very pleasant. And I had a very powerful food craving for - of all things - eggnog. There it was, on the grocery store shelf, right next to the milk I was putting in my cart, and I thought to myself, "I have to have that." Sure enough, I had finished off the quart in less than 8 hours. Don't worry, it was low-fat (but so much for avoiding dairy).

Also, as I was preparing dinner, no joke: I ate about a half a pound of the ground beef I was preparing to put into my pasta dish. Right out of the frying pan. Fortunately, I had some frozen meatballs I could throw in instead. Sheesh. Eggnog and ground beef. What a strange combination.

Wednesday saw me lying around on the couch a whole lot. Random food craving of today was avocado and mixed frozen vegetables with butter (if only it were like that every day!). It was a beautiful day, so I forced myself to go outside with the boys after their naps.

Staying up late is morning sickness no-no for me. It seems like eight o'clock on and I'm done for the day. Looks like that 80s party I was invited to on Friday night will go on without me.

By the way, my blood sugars have been pretty reasonable this whole time. The eggnog made me go a little high, but nothing extreme. I am using a little less insulin for meals (1:11 or 1:12 bolus ratios) and my morning dawn phenomenon basal rates are pretty modest (for me) at 1.15 from 4:30 to 7:00a. I haven't been eating a lot, so that may explain why my blood sugars haven't been anything to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment