Monday, December 12, 2011

Week 8: Miscarriage Milestone

The OB that delivered my first son said that weeks 8 and 12 are big ones for the risk of miscarriage, because it drops at both of those weeks. So, this week, I celebrate the milestone of a reduced risk of miscarriage.

On the other hand, the first trimester is really, really lame:

Saturday, October 29: My brother and sister-in-law come over to celebrate my son's first birthday. It takes a lot of effort to avoid vomiting into the bowl of bratwurst, cabbage, and beer soup that I make for dinner. I also completely forgot to make or buy anything resembling a cake, or a birthday gift. Poor second child.

Sunday, October 30: Right before communion, I excuse myself from mass to run to the bathroom. I was rather surprised by it, but did actually hurl once I got there.

Monday, October 31: I think I might vomit when I get out of bed. I think I might vomit about an hour after breakfast. I definitely feel worse when my blood sugar is 40 (as it was when I woke up this morning, and about and hour and a half after breakfast), but not exclusively (because I felt sick when my blood sugar was at 164 before lunch, too). I lowered my early-morning basal rate once more, to 1.35 from 4:30a to 7:00a.

Another impact of this fatigue and gross feeling is that where I used to be able to hold the next four things that I was planning to do in my mind (two diaper changes, two coats on, go to the bathroom, go outside with the boys), now I can barely hold one (one diaper change. Hope second child doesn't get a rash?).

Tuesday, November 1: Running as a morning habit is long gone. I made it through mass with the boys, and even squeezed in a trip to the grocery store. Somehow, today is better than the others, and I go on a cooking rampage to use up the vegetables that will go bad and to prepare the meal I've promised to bring our priests on Thursday evening. Chili is always better leftover, right?

Wednesday, November 2: In pondering today's feast, All Souls' Day, I wonder if purgatory will feel like this, and I hope that if so, I don't spend much time there. I offer my pain to God as penance.

Thursday, November3: My 2-year-old must think mommy being pregnant is either the best thing in the world or the worst. Between-meal snacks ALWAYS involve tortilla chips (yay!), but I spend a lot of time lying on the couch trying to avoid eye contact.

Friday, November 4: Today was OK. Not great, but OK. Blood sugars have been fine this week. I think I've got my bolus ratios and basal rates down...for now, anyway. I'm having fewer high highs and fewer low lows, and while I worry that they are trending higher than average, I think that may just be me worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment