Monday, December 5, 2011

Week 1 (or 5, or 6, or something)

The next few posts will contain my reflections from the first few weeks of pregnancy, to catch you up on the first trimester. I don't know how long I'll keep this up, but I'm hoping I can pen a few reflections about my pregnancy each week, all throughout, focusing on how to manage my blood sugars and how to navigate the world of extra testing during pregnancy that Type I diabetics experience. I'll try to avoid telling you stuff you don't need to know or that everyone else on the internet has already commented on (like dealing with hot flashes and heartburn. Seriously, it's my third time, and I have no idea).

We had our positive pregnancy test on a Sunday night. Here's my very first week.

Monday, October 9, 12:30 AM: I am still not asleep, two hours after taking the test, and my blood sugar is in the middle of one of those mad spikes. Curses. Remind me next time to take the flippin' test in the morning. I give 5 units to cover it, taking a giant leap of faith and hoping that I don't wake up in a sweaty diabetic coma in the middle of the night.

Monday, October 10, 7:00 AM: Commence freak-out-every-time-my-blood-sugar-goes-over-170. Begin to notice that I have, indeed, been experiencing pregnancy symptoms. It probably wasn't my husband's bad driving that made me sick in the car on Saturday night. I probably had not simply eaten too much when half a bowl of butternut squash soup made me feel as though I might throw up in my mouth.

Tuesday, October 11: When I woke up in the middle of the night, my blood sugar was 88 (at 1:30a), but by the time I got out of bed at 5:30a (back on the bandwagon!), it was 206. I adjusted my morning basal rates earlier and higher.

Wednesday, October 12: I called some doctor's offices today, not sure I wanted to remain with the doctor who delivered my son last October and not sure they would still take Medicaid. As I learned, however, hardly anyone takes Medicaid these days, and even fewer will see high-risk patients like me. No one wants to take care of the sick AND the poor, I guess. That work is left for saints. I called at least 25 OB/GYN practices and only 4 accept Medicaid. We settled for a new practice and I have an appointment on October 25. The receptionist estimated that I will be 6 weeks on Saturday. And my news is out of the bag in this house, after I asked my dad to babysit the boys for a "doctor's appointment." Since I see doctors all the time, I didn't think he would ask, but...

Father: "So what doctor are you going to see on the 25th?"
Me: "Um, well, it's just, I have a...crap, dad. Don't ask that question."
Father: (awkward chuckle) "OK, question withdrawn."

I also reduced my bolus ratios today because I was having some lows 2 hours after meals. The higher morning basal rates worked (at least last night). As I dialed up an extra 5 units to cover my high blood sugar (269) before bed time tonight, which is way more than I would usually take to correct that number, I thought to myself how stupid it would be to ask someone else to manage my blood sugars for me during pregnancy. If my endocrinologist had been there, looking over my shoulder as I made that decision, he would have said, "You're crazy! You'll never wake up in the morning!"

Thursday, October 13: Fortunately, my endocrinologist would have been wrong. With five units before bed and a basal rate of 2.0 between 4:30a and 7:00a, I roused at 7:15a at a very comfortable 77. I am SO GOOD AT DIABETES.

Friday, October 14: My blood sugars have actually fallen to levels below normal. I'm not needing many (if any) 5-unit boluses for spikes. I gave one yesterday and one today in anticipation of spikes that never happened, and was stuck in a low rut for a few hours each time. My confidence from yesterday gives way to humility in the face of the ever-changing realities of diabetes during pregnancy.


The end of the first week finds me fully adapted to the idea that I am going to have another baby next June, that people may think I'm crazy, that I'm going to have to go through pregnancy again and pregnancy is hard. But the emotional upheaval is resolved...for now. At least until I remember (really, really remember) that I will have to go through labor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment