Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Effect of Pregnancy on Diabetes


I have asked two physicians - my OB and my endocrinologist in St. Louis - whether being pregnant a whole lot will adversely affect my diabetes condition. That is to say, not whether having diabetes will make pregnancy worse, but whether having babies will make diabetes worse. The answer was no, both times. In fact, I flat-out asked my endocrinologist in St. Louis how many babies he thought I could have and he said, "I don't really have an opinion about that. No one has asked me that question. Five or six? Or as many as you want?"

I guess it's just new territory, since women with Type I diabetes may not have historically survived long enough to have many children and contraceptives have assisted women to voluntarily limit their family size in the last 50 years.

Has anyone else heard differently? Does pregnancy adversely affect diabetes?

No comments:

Post a Comment