Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Saint Gianna Beretta Molla

I have recently read about the life of Saint Gianna Beretta Molla, canonized according to the Catholic Church in May of 2004. This woman gave the ultimate sacrifice - her life - to preserve the life of her child. You can read about the exact circumstances of her fourth and final pregnancy, after and because of which she died, here.

As diabetics, on average, pregnancy is harder for us. But we do it anyway because having a baby is an incredibly good thing. As a diabetic with good modern medical care, the sacrifices that I take on may never involve the sacrifice of my very life, but it will always involve smaller ones. These sacrifices are sure to include the inconvenience of checking my blood sugar every 2 hours, in the middle of the night, and any other time I feel like I need to; denying myself certain indulgences; going to extra doctor's appointments; exercising; bringing food with me everywhere to avoid lows; and even risking unknown long-term consequences to my health. I only hope that if it does involve as much as the sacrifice of my life, I will offer it willingly for the one(s) I carry within me, as Saint Gianna did.

So, the next time I feel like complaining about how hard pregnancy is, even if I decide to whine about it anyway, I will remember and be encouraged but the woman that sacrificed her whole life for her baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment