Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why do I read diabetic blogs?

I just get annoyed. I really should stop. I know, I know... Hi Pot, I'm Kettle, you're black.

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9804/images/oliphant_3.jpg

So, all that out of the way, a new book on type one and pregnancy has been released. I am going out tomorrow to find a copy, but after reading this post detailing the author's opinion of natural birthing moms, I was discouraged. Granted that post was 4 years old, but it was also the only post related to natural birth after a search of "natural" on the blog's provided search engine.

I'll let you know what I find, I'm hopeful, since it's one of the few resources for type one women on pregnancy and birth. However, I'm fearful if you're a type one who honestly believes natural birth is better for you and your baby, you might find more helpful anecdotal info here. ;) More to come on this new resource!

3 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    I just posted this on my blog then realized I could respond to you here. Thanks for writing.

    I definitely found women in my book who delivered naturally, without any drugs, and were type 1. One even had a home birth against medical advice and delivered a healthy baby. (See chapters 7 and 4, respectively). I included them to show the range of experiences among women with diabetes, even though they definitely did not reflect my own philosophies.

    I am still strictly pro c-section and pro-painkillers, and you will find that if you continue to read my blog. To be clear, my blog strictly chronicled my own experiences long before the book became a reality, while my book included insights from more than 50 women with type 1 and type 2 and they cover a spectrum of advice and opinions.

    There are definitely other women with type 1 who share your views and desires about natural childbirth, and if you email me directly, I can help you connect with them if you'd like. In fact, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the book after you read it--please email me at Lyrehca AT gmail DOT com and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this information, Lyrehca. I am even more eager to read the book now... and must say, I'm thankful that you endeavored to fill the void that exists on this topic. I'll certainly email as soon as I read. Again, I so much appreciate your positive response, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a type 1 since 2001 following pancreatic burnout from pneumonia. I am now pregnant with my 6th child and delivered 4 completely natural very successfully and happily. One I had pitocin and epidural and it was horrific. Luckily I have never had a c-sect and do not understand why on earth a well controlled diabetic would be urged to get cut open when we have issues healing and with infection? I googled natural home birth for type 1 and came up here...Honestly all my births would have been fine at home and less stressful. I would love a home birth so to not deal with hospital staff wanting to textbook treat me. Not have to sign waivers to manage my own blood sugar. Honestly the only reason they are there and I am there with them is on the "just in case" . Ultimately why I will not venture to deliver at home this time too..and lack of finding a midwife to take a high risk pt on. But this 1960s way of thinking all diabetics are textbook and need to be cut open is ridiculous. truly.

    ReplyDelete