Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Introducing another blogging diabetic mama

I'm new to this whole blogging thing, so just bear with me. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I am also a Type I, juvenile-onset diabetic. Jenn and I were neighbors for three years, during which time we collectively experienced three diabetic pregnancies and three diabetic births. It was glorious. We spent a lot of time discussing diabetes and pregnancy, owing to the fact that I have a fairly acute interest in all matters related to pregnancy and childbirth. I bring it up often. Even with people that I don't know very well (much to my husband's, and probably Jenn's husband's, chagrin). That's how Jenn and I met.

Briefly, my son was born in May after 22 hours of active labor at a Saint Louis hospital under the care of a superb obstetrician. I hesitate to say it was a "natural" childbirth (more on that perhaps at some other time), but I did not have an epidural, if that's what you think of when you think natural childbirth. I'm not gonna lie, it was hard. Not having anything to compare it to, I'm pretty sure I'm glad I did it that way, but it hurt. A lot.

On the other hand, as long as I've had an interest in pregnancy and childbirth, I've been of the opinion that fewer interventions leads to better outcomes. So that's why I'm pretty sure I'm glad I did it that way, and I was fortunate to have a husband there to remind me that that is what I believe (because halfway through the afternoon I really thought I'd be OK if they knocked me out and cut me open). All that to say, I am pretty convinced of the principle; even for diabetics.

So for my part, welcome, and we look forward to encouraging you with our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment